As practitioners of life cultivation, our objective is to live a life of wellness and happiness until we die, without illness and medication. As such, we practice the Mustang Tuna Technique everyday for five minutes. It is equivalent to running for thirty minutes.
The word Tuna is a Chinese term, meaning exhale and inhale, a unique form of deep breathing. It will help to eliminate toxins in our body, resulting in relieving fatigue, refreshing our mind, smoothing the flow of vital energy, and restoring our organs to their normal position. If we persist in our practice, we will ultimately gain the benefits of a strong energy presence and a solid body constitution.
The term Tuna means exhaling old air and inhaling new air. It is a basic form of the Mustang Vital Energy Technique. It is a special form of deep breathing in our practice of Life Cultivation. It involves taking in fresh air from Nature and letting it circulate inside our body, and expelling the foul air from inside our body.
Common Breathing Methods
1) Chest breathing
Chest breathing is also called natural breathing. The chest cavity rises and falls between breathing, and the air only reaches the chest cavity. Throughout the breathing process, the muscles in the thoracic cavity help air in and out of the lungs, so the inhalation is shallow, usually only the upper one-third of the lungs have air in and out. We under-utilize the lungs when we breathe this way.
2) Abdominal breathing
In abdominal breathing, the diaphragm moves up and down between breathing, and the inhaled air reaches the lower abdomen. Therefore, when exhaling, the diaphragm will rise more than usual, so we can breathe deeply and exhale more carbon dioxide that tends to stagnate at the bottom of the lungs. This is a more efficient way to change oxygen and carbon dioxide.
3) Reverse abdominal breathing
The Reverse Abdominal Breathing is also called Dantian Breathing, which refers to the natural adduction of the abdomen when inhaling, and the natural bulging of the lower abdomen when exhaling. Reverse abdominal breathing will promote abdominal muscles and diaphragms and other tissues to participate in the breathing process, thereby driving the movement of the viscera.
The secretory gland function of various organs in the digestive tract will be strengthened, thereby enhancing the digestive ability. The viscera, meridians and collaterals will be massaged at the same time. The anus, testicles, bladder, etc. will be involved in the excretion process. The genital organs will be lifted.
The end result is a strong lifting of the yang energy, replenishing the vital-energy and the replacement of the birth-energy that we lost during our daily activities.
As practitioners of life cultivation, when we practice the Mustang Tuna Technique, we employ the third way of deep-breathing, which is the reverse abdominal breathing. If you watch carefully, you can see the rise and fall of the abdomen of the practitioners.
01 Best practice time
Get up in the morning. Empty your bowels on an empty stomach. Drink a glass of warm water by the sipping method. Then practice the Mustang Tuna Technique. You may also practice the Tuna Technique an hour after meals, as long as you do not practice with a full stomach.
02 Best location
Practice in a safe, ventilated place to prevent cold wind blowing directly to your body. Avoid the wind like you would avoid a sword.
Try not to urinate within half an hour after the practice.
04 Food and shower
You may eat and drink or take a cold shower for at least half-an-hour after the practice.
Do not involve in over-thinking during strong winds, heavy rains, or thunder. Best to stop practicing if you cannot control your thoughts.
If you practice the Tuna Technique standing up, then you should not sit down until three to five minutes after completing the Practice. For older and weaker practitioners, our advice is to practice the Tuna Technique lying down to conserve energy.
For beginners, use your nose to breathe. Also, inhale fast and exhale slowly so as to expand your chest cavity. Later, when you are used to it, you may then exhale and inhale evenly and slenderly like a piece of silk thread. Remember to inhale using the nine pieces of clouds technique.
08 Inner inspection
Close your eyes and use the eye-nose-heart technique to focus your mind. Pay attention to the changes in your body, and check on everyone of your movement to make sure that you have done it right in your Tuna Practice.
09 Lifting the perineum
Tuna Practice involves anus contraction and urination prevention actions. But, for beginners, do not overdo the actions in terms of effort and length of time. You may raise your energy level unnecessarily which is not good for you.
You may practice lifting the perineum, but do not use force to lift it. After a long practice, you may be able to control the nerve plexus in this part, and then you can really lift the perineum.
10 Crotch sitting
When sitting on the crotch, do not lift the hips backward, but sit back and down.
11 Lower abdomen
In your practice of the Tuna Technique, pay special attention to your movement of the lower abdomen. Over time, you will develop a certain amount of lower abdomen resistance to outside force.
This is how most of us who practice life cultivation will practice the Tuna Technique in our deep-breathing practice.
As we practice the Tuna Technique, we strengthen our breathing action and the organs involved. It also causes the abdominal internal organs to be massaged during the breathing action. This in turn results in the adjustment and strengthening of the digestive function of the stomach and intestines. These are the reasons why we participate in practicing the Tuna Technique.
Tuna Practice is just the beginning of our life cultivation practice. There are more techniques for us to learn and practice. The practice and the resultant effects will vary from person to person.
No matter what, as long as you learn and practice, you will reap many benefits throughout your life. It will bring you inexhaustible health. We hope that the blessed persons will reach the realm of cultivation of life and body from the practice.
Notes on Perineal Strengthening Exercises
This is an excerpt from an article from Vanderbilt University Medical Center on Perineal Strengthening exercises for your reference. Refer to the original article for more information.
There are several exercises and activities you can do to help strengthen your pelvic floor muscles. Your doctor, nurse, or physical therapist can answer any questions you have and help you get started.
A Weak Pelvic Floor
The pelvic floor muscles may weaken due to aging, pregnancy and vaginal childbirth, injury, surgery, chronic cough, or lack of exercise. If the pelvic floor is weak, your bladder and other pelvic organs may sag out of place. The urethra may also open too easily and allow urine to leak out. Kegel exercises can help you strengthen your pelvic floor muscles so they can better support the pelvic organs and control urine/stool leakage.
What are the exercises and how do I do them?
- Gluteal sets. These can be done standing, sitting, or lying down. Pinch your buttocks tightly together. Hold for three seconds, then relax. Do thirty of these every day.
2. Anal wink. Squeeze your anal sphincter tight as if trying to stop a bowel movement. Hold for thirty seconds, then relax. Do thirty of these every day.
- Get up and move. Do not sit for more than thirty minutes at a time without getting up for a short walk. This helps relieve pressure and promote circulation.
- Walk every day. Take a walk around your home, workplace, or outside. Start with ten minutes and add three minutes every other day. This is to promote circulation and strengthen your leg muscles. It does not matter how fast you walk.
- Do Kegel exercises. Do each of the Kegel exercises described below. When you are doing them, try not to move your leg, buttock, or stomach muscles. To find the correct muscle, sit on the toilet and begin to urinate and then stop the urine flow. The muscles you use to stop the flow of urine are the ones you want to strengthen. Finish urinating. Squeeze these muscles only to find the correct muscle group.
- When you squeeze these pelvic floor muscles, you need to keep your stomach, leg and buttocks muscles relaxed. You may need to ask your health care provider to make sure you are doing the Kegel exercises the right way.
- Type A Kegel exercise. Tighten the pelvic floor muscles as tightly as possible while you count to five, then relax the muscles while you count to five. Repeat thirty times every day; three sets, ten times each set. As your muscle strength gets better, you may squeeze to a count of ten, then relax to a count of ten.
- Type B Kegel exercise. Quickly tighten the pelvic floor muscles as tight as you can, then quickly relax. Repeat up to fifty times every day; up to five sets, ten times each set.
- Helpful Hints
- Do your Kegels as often as you can. The more you do them, the faster you’ll feel the results.
- Pick an activity you do often as a reminder. For instance, do your Kegels every time you sit down.
- Tighten your pelvic floor before you sneeze, get up from a chair, cough, laugh, or lift. This protects your pelvic floor from injury and can help prevent urine/stool leakage.
Call to Action
Folks, that is all for now. If you think this article may be beneficial to your friends and loved-ones, feel free to forward this article to them. Life cultivation is mostly for older people with declining body health. If you are young and energetic, this may not be your cup of tea. However, if you have family members or friends who are middle-aged or older, they may want to practice life cultivation to maintain a life without pain or medication.
This is an extract of the full treatise published in the Mustang BodyWorks Series, a paid-subscription. You may buy the full treatise on Mustang Tuna Technique Level One for the price of US$20.00, using your PayPal account.
Stay tuned for the next episode: More on Mustang Tuna Technique.
Call to action: Subscribe below for notification to read more new blogs for free.
Call to action: Subscribe to Mustang BodyWorks Series with our support. You may then practice life cultivation all by yourself at your home at your own pace.
Call to action: Join Mustang Life Cultivation Club for life cultivation practice with our support. You will have a personal mentor to guide you along.